Wednesday, December 18, 2013

You Asked, I Answered!

 Recently I've been asked some questions about Italy and our new lives so here we go!



Q.What's the exchange rate on currency?
A. Right now it's $1.38. Meaning 1 Euro is worth $1.38 US. 


Q. What’s the climate like? Are there 4 seasons?
A. I've only been here since November 30th, 2013 so it's been cold, and not humid. Hasn't gotten any higher than 50 degrees. (Also, they go by celsius here so technically that would be 15 degrees celsius.) 
   
      
Q. What’s the common religion?
A. Catholicism


Q. How much does a gallon of milk cost? A dozen eggs, a loaf of bread, a gallon of gas?
A. I have not been shopping out in town yet, I'll let you know when I know :)

 
Q. What is your first impression of: the people, city life, air quality, traffic?
A. My first impression of the people can be summed up in 2 words; passionate and beautiful. So far a great impression. The city? I've only been to Napoli and Rome so far and I would say crowded, compact, A LOT of people/horses/vehicles and buses. And EXTREMELY beautiful. Air quality; smoky and clear if that makes any sense, lol. And lastly, the traffic:

 I wish I was joking.

 
Q.What information have you gleaned from the classes you’ve taken?
A. That moving over here with the military seems to be A LOT easier and a smoother transition than just moving over here on your own.

 
Q. What kinds of clothes, shoes, purses, etc will be important there?
A. So far it's been winter so scarves, real shoes (not flip flops or flats), hats, warm puffy coats, pants etc.

 
Q. I hear the electricity goes out a lot; why? And how do you prepare for that?
A. The electricity goes out a lot because here in Italy we get our power from France so if any little thing happens there, we're affected too. How to prepare for it? Make sure all electronics are always at full charge, have plenty of water and non perishable foods, batteries, candles and games on hand and wait it out. Here on the base, they are able to forewarn us when a power outage is going to happen and for how long so we can better prepare.

 
Q. How can someone track where you are with Google Earth?
A. I could tell you that, however, because I'm here with my husband who's in the military, I'd have to kill you, lol ;)

 
Q. Do they have states, like in America? 
A. Italy does not have states, it has regions. There are 20 regions. Some of them include Abruzzo, Campania, Calabria, Giulia, Lombardia, Friuli and Venezia.


Q. What are the roads like? 
A. Crowded and bumpy....From what I've seen so far.

 
Q. How are their traffic laws different?
A. There aren't any. No really, as far as I've seen and experienced, no one really follows any traffic laws. But here's an idea of what they SHOULD be.






Q. I heard bidets are common over there, how does one use a bidet?
A. You basically sit on it either facing the water nozzle or not, and clean yourself off with the water. It's just an alternative/secondary way of cleaning yourself after using the toilet.


 

 
Q. What is the biggest surprise to you so far?
A. How compact Rome was.

 
Q. What is the Italian mindset toward pets?
A. I haven't seen any personal interaction between an Italian and an animal but I do know there are A LOT of strays here.

 
Q. What’s the ambience like there; the spirit of the area?
A. Nice, cultured, colorful, passionate, happy (from what I've seen so far) and very friendly. They also seem to really appreciate when we try to learn/use their language.


Q. What is their attitude toward Americans, and the military people?
A. Good. They are pleased to have us on their soil, and even happier when we try to learn/use their language.

 
Q. What kinds of things are different with the internet, telephones, power?
A. A lot of things that are available in the U.S. like Pandora, Netflix and American cable is not available here. They also have a completely different plug in system. its 220 watt rather than 110 or 120 like the U.S. has.

 
Q. Do you have to pump your own gas?
A. I don't know, but we are buying a car today so I'll let you know! :)

 
Q. You mention I your blog that there’s a lot of walking; what kind of shoes would be good?
A. Tennis shoes, shoes with memory foam and good support. NO flip flops, flats or Ugg type shoes.



 If you have anymore questions, thoughts or concerns, please let me know and I will do my best to answer! :)



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment