Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Cats Feel Too

As I lay here, in bed, petting and talking to my new kitty Olivia, for the last time, tears rolling down my face... I look into her eyes and I see a single tear roll down her cheek. She's looking at me with a look of peace, almost as if she knows she's going to be with God soon, and out of pain.

We had just adopted her a mere 8 days ago.

I can't even begin to explain the heartbreak and sadness I feel. It was such a short amount of time we got with her but if this really is her last few days, I'm glad it was with us; two people who took her in and loved her so deeply, and without question.

She brought us closer, gave us a glimpse of what kind of 'parents' we were (to her) and will be someday and opened up a whole new world we hadn't yet experienced together.

When we adopted her she seemed fine, eyes wide open, she was the only one there who let me pick her up and hold her...the adoption agency didn't have any record of sickness in her background, she checked out. Then, 3 days later I had to take her to the vet. She had a fever, a fever of almost 106. They treated her, gave her fluids, and medication...even some for us to continue giving her for 10 more days. I decided to call my good friend and cat expert Tina who informed me that this may be more serious than just a fever and to give it 3 more days. She told me that if the cats not better by then, to take more serious action.
She wasn't better by then. In fact more symptoms started happening, she started sneezing a little blood and she seems to have lost her appetite.
We both knew that it was time to take her to a place that can better care for her, as we've done all we could. We prayed over her, spoke positive things over her, comforted her, fed her, gave her baths and pretty much bought PetSmart out... This is out of our hands now.

Though some may not understand, this is one of the hardest things I'll ever have to do tomorrow, is take her in. I am feeling a plethora of emotions, with a side of puffy eyes and a headache, but - I just have to keep reminding myself that this is the best for her.

Tonight we say goodbye to the sweetest and first cat that Riley and I had the pleasure of adopting together. I know it's for the best, for everyone. Mostly I care about her health and happiness. I feel for her so profoundly, I sincerely hope she gets the best care and love. She definitely deserves it.

She is cuddled up right in between Riley and I, so as we all fall asleep together for the last time I pray that God will somehow ease her pain and help me have peace as well

And so, in Rileys exact words:
"I won't say goodbye, only sweet dreams Olivia."







No comments:

Post a Comment