Tuesday, January 22, 2013

It's Official!

Well, after 14 years in each others' lives we are finally engaged to be married. He is, and has always been the love of my life, literally. I can honestly say that I have never been in love with anyone else but him. He's always been the one for me.
For the longest time I was confused and frustrated that it wasn't the right time for us to join lives and just be together already. But, I knew in my heart that waiting for that perfect-God's will timing would be worth it. Some may have had a chance to read 'our story' already but I would like to share it again;


                It all started when my mom and his mom got together for lunch one day. They were new friends and my mom had met her daughter and asked if that was her only child. His mom told her, “No I have a 13 year old son. His name is Riley”. My mom asked,”Why haven’t I seen him in church?” she responded with, “He wants nothing to do with church or God”. So my mom had an idea. She said, “Introduce him to MY Reilly and he’ll WANT to come to church!”
                My mom and I stood side by side as the doorbell rang on that September day. Little knowing how we would both lose our hearts the moment the door would open. It was the year 1999 when I met him. His name was Riley. My name is Reilly. I thought, "He's the one, he has to be, we have the same name." But, what would I know, I was only a kid; I was only 13.
The very next Sunday he was in church.
                 We spent the next years of our childhood growing up and going through everything together. Next thing I knew, he had joined the military; the United States Navy. He was 18 years old and it was time; time for the next step in his life, and in mine. But I knew with all my heart that if we were meant to be together God would make it happen.
                So for the next 7 years we would see each other on Christmas, talk on the phone, write letters. We still went through everything together; two deployments, new jobs, new houses, even heartbreak. We grew to become indestructible. He was my best friend, my everything.
                Then, there came a day when I knew my life was about to change forever. I felt it. I knew that my life as I knew it was never going to be the same. I had an itch, a yearning; wanderlust if you will, to get out and see the world; to travel. I wasn't sure what that meant or what I was supposed to do with this desire of mine, but I knew it was there for a reason, so I prayed. I asked God to make it clear to me what my steps were supposed to be, what my purpose was, and where I was supposed to go.
                May 1st, 2011 I left. All I knew was I was supposed to get in my car and drive east. So I did! All alone, in my little Honda I started driving...I saw some family along the way, took a million pictures, found my passion for writing and discovered me.
                 Next thing I knew I was in North Carolina. I had driven from Oregon to North Carolina in 26 days, by myself. So I'm thinking, okay...now what God? And right then and there, I knew, ‘Go see Riley.’ The moment I saw him I knew. I knew God had brought me out here for a reason. I remembered years ago when I knew and had to keep telling myself, "If were meant to be together, God will make it happen", and now here I am. I wasn’t planning on moving to North Carolina, in fact I had no plan at all, but I knew I wasn’t supposed to go back to Oregon.  So after much prayer and discussion between Riley and I on whether we were ready for this, we decided to move in together, to finally join our lives.
                As much as we knew about each other and as long as we've known each other, every day still brings new adventures; a new and stronger love for each other, among the challenges and fears. But this is it, this is right. I’m meant to be here, with him, and that I know. My whole life I knew God was preparing me for my future mate, and He was preparing him for me, and that when we met we would all know it…
This is the story of us, of Riley and Reilly. 

He was my very first "boyfriend" you know, like the kind of boyfriend where I have to ask my mom if it's okay if we hold hands because I'm only 12 years old and have never been "into boys" until he came along. He was my very first kiss...He pretty much had my heart and soul from day one. 




  



 





January 20th, 2013. He proposed. He had many ideas of how he wanted to do it, he wanted it perfect. But, for whatever reason none of the plans ever seemed to work out, whether it was because of my bad mood, or his friend not being able to show up, or that either one of us had to work, the weather...It just was not flowing. Until yesterday morning. We woke up to a gorgeous morning, not too hot, not too cold in our big comfy bed. We were snuggling and talking about our relationship, how much we loved each other, the many reasons why. We talked about where we see ourselves in 5 years...it was perfect. Then out of nowhere he pulls out this ring! I covered my face, got red, cried a little, laughed, looked away...I wasn't sure if this was     really happening! But it was, and as he muttered those words;
                                          "will you marry me" 
I saw a flash of the rest of our lives together and it was perfect. I thought, I get to have a sleepover with my best friend every night, and eat out, and make dinner for each other, and buy each other presents, and he listens when I need to say something and calls me beautiful and "nice girl" and "toots" often...he calls me out when needed, he's there for me whether it's in the next room or across the country (in his words)....I think this will be hitting me for years to come, even after were married. I am so blessed to have such an amazing man that God prepared just for me.  
                                              and I said yes.
In fact it may have even been a hell yes, followed by a huge hug and a million kisses. Even though it wasn't the epic, romantic, "firework-ey" proposal we see in the movies, it was perfect for us and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

So now, onto the planning! Many of you have asked me for details and the whens and wheres so here's what we have so far...We don't know. Hahaha ;) No really, all we know at this point is that we are shooting for sometime between September 2013 and March 2014. (I really want it to happen in September as that's the month we met, 14 years ago) we won't know any more specific details on the date until we know where we will be moving to and when. (he puts his orders in to be stationed somewhere else next month) We are also planning on going on our honeymoon the night or night after our wedding
Of course I will keep everyone updated on the many details :) 

As far as the actual wedding, it will for certain be in Oregon, and I have 3 folders on my computer plus one more in my file box of wedding ideas and pictures and vision boards and colors and pictures and anything else you can imagine wedding :)

But first things first, engagement pictures. We will be getting them done sometime within the first two weeks of February and sending them out, after that, the "save-the-dates" will be going out then finally the wedding invitations.

That's it, that's all we know so far. Oh, and I will not get my ring back until the first week of February as we had to send it off to get re sized :(

I want to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who has been so supportive and patient with me and us, we have put a few people through the ringer I'm sure, listening to us, well, mostly me...and giving us advice and just being there for us, genuinely. It means the world to us. 
Also, to everyone on Facebook who "liked" and commented on our posts and changed relationship statuses...you guys are amazing, thank you so much for showing your support as well and that you guys care. Each and every one of you mean something special to me and I couldn't be happier that we are all still in touch :)

So, any thoughts, questions, advice, words of wisdom, funny pictures....are welcome. I am excited to see how all of this plays out. I am excited to marry the love of my life :)









1 comment:

  1. WOW! I really enjoyed reading this - getting to know you and read your story. It is so beautiful! I love how God orchestrates things and how is timing is perfect.

    My husband was my first boyfriend as well. So glad it worked out that way for us. :)

    ReplyDelete