Monday, May 21, 2012

So this is what feeling accomplished is like.

Well, I did it! I actually created something from something I saw that inspired me. And not just a regular ol' something. A household item. Which brings us back to the whole I'm all domesticated now thing.
We have been trying to save alot of money lately, you know, for all our summer trips and our big, two week trip back to Oregon for a visit. And anyway, before our decision to start saving money, I had already been bitten by the "couponing-making my own household stuff-being self sufficient" bug. I'm all excited now to try my hand at being creative, and actually doing/making the stuff that I see online or out in the world that inspires me.
My first venture is making my own laundry and dishwasher soap.
Success!
And I documented the whole process :)
a few weeks ago I was sitting here thinking, how can I save money? I asked myself, "what are the most common things we use, and can I make them myself for a fraction of the cost?" And of course, the answer is yes!
All I needed for the laundry soap was:

  • Borax
  • Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
  • Fels-Naptha Soap Bar
  • 5-gallon bucket with lid
  • Essential Oil Drops for fragrance - I chose Lavendar


  • All totalling around $12.00. Not to mention I have almost an entire box of each, the Borax and Washing soda left so next time I'll just have to buy the soap. Also, I'm pretty sure you could use the kind of soap you use in the shower such as Ivory or Dove. I think I may try that next.



    First, I grated the soap.



    Then, I added it to 4 cups of hot water over the stove and let it melt.




    Once it was all melted and stirred together, I poured the soap mixture into my 5 gallon bucket that was filled half way with hot water.





    I then added 1 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and 1/2 cup Borax, and mixed it all together! Once all mixed, I filled the rest of the bucket with hot water, covered it and let it sit overnight.





    The next morning I was SO ecstatic to see what my creation looked like!





    It was thick and gooey. Kind of like cream of wheat when you microwave it. But once I mixed it back up it was a nice, "laundry soap-like" consistency!



    I then added essential oils to get it all nice and smelly-good.

    we used it for the first time, that morning, and the clothes came out clean, stain-free and smelling wonderful!

    All for about $12, I was able to home make my own laundry soap that works just as good, if not better than the store bought kind, that will give me about 500 loads worth!!
    Yep, I would say that's a win :)


    Now, for the dishwasher soap.
    All I needed was:


    1 box Borax (4lbs 12 oz or 76 oz )
    1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (55 oz or 3 lbs 7 oz)
    24 packages of unsweetened lemonade drink mix (for the citric acid)
    3 cups Epsom Salt
    Lemi Shine rinse aid (this recipe does not work very well without it) You can find Lemi Shine in the dishwasher detergent isle at just about any store. You can also use vinegar as a rinse aid. If your dishes are coming out with spots on them that means you do need a rinse aid.
    




    And then, are you ready for it? I just mixed it all together! I bought another 5 gallon bucket and it filled half of it. One tablespoon at a time...You can imagine how long that'll last! :)




    After the first load of dishes finished I had witnessed another success! The glasses were crystal clear, shiny and CLEAN!


    I'm feeling so inspired and well, proud.

    Some of my next endeavors will include:

    ~ Making a "Goal Board"

    Pinned Image


    ~ Making Riley and I our very own, personal "love languages" jars, such as this one:

    Pinned Image

    If you have never heard of "Love Languages" I highly recommend reading The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. It's an amazing book, and REALLY helps with relationships, understanding eachother better, and communication. Love it :)

    Pinned Image


    ~ Making my own, home-made household, chemical free cleaners:

    http://naturesnurtureblog.com/2012/02/07/greener-household-cleaners/
    http://www.younghouselove.com/2009/10/clean-up-your-act-all-natural-homemade-cleaners/

    ~ A garden! Yep, right on my 2nd story apartments front porch. I'm excited to start my very first little garden!

    Pinned Image

    Pinned Image



    ~ Also, I will be making my attempt at making a few macrame bracelets.

    Pinned Image


    Those are just a few for right now, I'm just gettin' started! Look out world, Reilly Mitchell has officially become domesticated! Well, for the most part, I'm pretty sure I'll always have my wild hairs and adventures :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment