Friday, December 6, 2013

Our New Lives in Italy


Our very first view of Italy right before we landed!


Well! I finally had a chance to sit down for two seconds and catch up!
We've been in Italy for 6 days now and it has been cra-a-a-a-azy. The night we got here, Last Saturday, we flew in at about 5:30pm then our sponsor and his wife immediately took us out to dinner. I learned that the reason why people have coffee or "caffe" or certain types of alcoholic drinks such as limoncellos or grappas, is simply for digestion! (and for the taste I'm sure too) I tried REAL Italian pizza, and Caprese salad....AMAZING. I'm drooling just thinking about it! The mozzarella here is like, the tastiest thing I've EVER eaten. We were there for a few hours then came back to the Navy Lodge (temporary lodging until we get our house)













 















The gift our sponsor and his wife left us!











We immediately wanted to immerse ourselves in the Italian culture so we started off by buying a small espresso machine.



We've been here one night and we already have a collection of wine starting! :)



...and this, is how you flush the toilet...







The view from our room



Another view from our room




Us, feeling soooo elated.



The next day, Sunday, we had breakfast with Steve, our sponsor then went and got us some warm coats and our new phones!







 On the third day here, Monday December 2nd, 2013, we found out we had a week of "area orientation" classes so, that's where we've been.
We met our new friends Nicole and Josh on the first day of class and ever since then, it's been such a blast! That night, after class we all went out for pizza and drinks, again, SO much fun.

On the fourth day here, I went to class, came back to the room and slept for like 5 hours. Nicole and I then went to do laundry, and I'll admit it was actually fun. Just hangin out, drinkin' our sodas, her teaching me how to use the washing machines...

On the fifth day, Wednesday, I had my Italian drivers license test! But, I studied hard and passed!








 That night we had dinner with Josh and Nicole at a place called Bambusa, it was pretty good, I'd give it like a 4.5 outta 10 :/


Thursday Nicole and I took a trip to Capo to apply for our Sojourners permit. It's basically Italy allowing us to reside here for longer than 90 days.


 Last night, Riley and I went to a Christmas Tree lighting festival they have here every year, it was so cool to see the culture, eat pizza while listening to Santa and the mayor of Gricignano








A huge pizza stone cooker.


















This has just been the FIRST WEEK here in Italy! It hasn't even begun yet. I'm seriously excited to get out there and see EVERYTHING. Immerse myself, learn the culture, and spend as little time on base as I can :)
I've already signed up for an Italian language class AND an Italian cooking class...And whatever else comes up, I'm there. 

I still feel jet lagged and sometimes a little stressed and grouchy but, I'm working my hardest to stay sweet and grateful for all these wonderful blessings we've been given.

I'm also still in shock. Sometimes, in the most random places I'll just stop and be like; "I'm in ITALY"


post signature





No comments:

Post a Comment