Monday, December 9, 2013

Our First Trip To Downtown Napoli!!

Today a group of us took a field trip to Napoli, Italy. 
It was such an amazing experience being able to have a tour guide who was friendly, funny and extremely informative. Now I feel like I won't feel so lost or alone when making my/our way out there to the rest of Italy and beyond!

We first traveled by bus which took about 20 minutes and arrived in a town called Montesanto. Then we took a train and then lastly a rail car to Napoli.




First off I wanna say, (and with no offense meant whatsoever) Italian drivers are exactly how they say they are. Or how you see in the movies. If i didn't have anxiety while driving before, I do NOW. It is absolutely insane.




When you're walking (which I will probably do most the time, that or ride the public transportation)...I learned to get a small, secure purse and carry as little money as possible, just what you need. I learned that while walking, learn to bob and weave and know where you're going or else you're going to get either run over by a bus, motorcycle, bicycle, moped or even a police car!

Also, flip flops and flats won't work here. I say this with sadness.

I feel like I'm quickly learning the language here. When I get to say a word or sentence, and I get it right...I feel so accomplished!! And on top of all that, to be able to sit on the train like I did today and have a full on conversation (1/2 English and 1/2 Italian of course) with an Italian....I can't even describe the feeling. Just....like I'm really getting there :)

As for the food? I still love the pizza! Gelato is my new favorite, and I LOVE the caffe'...I have yet to try any pastries, or anything else really, but believe me, I will next trip!









I noticed that there are alot of stands/people selling fake products (which I also learned is illegal to buy from them), as well as a TON of tiny, high end boutiques.
I wanted to keep an eye out on what the Italians where, as I want to fit in, not stick out like a sore thumb. I was pleasantly surprised! I LOVE their style!! I noticed that most of the women wear long coats or sweaters with leggings and tall boots. Also, wedges and puffy (marshmallow) coats seem to be a big thing. They wear scarves, cute hats and mainly darker colors. I also observed that they wear alot of makeup. They really dress to the nines. 
As for the men; tight pants, vests, sweaters, suits, leather shoes or tennis shoes. I didn't really see any men wearing ball caps, only fedoras and flat caps...Or they did their hair (also very stylish hairstyles) They also wear scarves alot too.



Today was SUCH a fun day. Tiring, and painful with all the walking but so worth it. I'm REALLY excited to see and learn more.











You can see all the rest of the pictures at: 

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.421832687944137.1073741848.100003522271099&type=1&l=ec77102356


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment